National Apprenticeship Week: Our Top Tips
We asked our Job Search Co-ordinator, Ayshea, for her top tips for finding and securing an apprenticeship…
Where to find apprenticeship vacancies:
- Register to get alerts from Career Wales.
- You will need to use your initiative to find employers who take on apprentices – check their websites, email them, write to them or even phone them.
- Use your own contacts – ask family and friends.
- Check the online job sites regularly and set up vacancy alerts.
Before you apply:
- Employers will get lots of CVs, cover letters and application forms, so you need to stand out in a positive way.
- Your CV should not stay the same for each apprenticeship you apply for – it needs to appeal directly to what each individual employer is looking for.
- You may need a cover letter. There are lots of examples online to guide you.
- Some employers might ask you to take assessments – remember to practice, practice and practice before you take the assessment!
- If you impress at application stage and are selected for interview it is important to prepare thoroughly. Study the job description and person specification carefully, and do your research.
Remember: Our Creating Futures team can help you with searching for vacancies, writing a CV and covering letter, filling in application forms and preparing for interviews. Get in touch today to get started.
Posted on: February 10, 2021